Monday, September 28, 2009

Organize Clutter - Define and Defeat Clutter

clut·ter n. 1) a disorderly heap or assemblage; litter: 2) a state or condition of confusion.


Can you really organize clutter? Once clutter is organized, it's no longer "clutter." The "disorderly heap" the "state of confusion" is resolved by organization - and that's a truly lovely feeling. This article offers a splendidly simple, crystal clear method of dealing with your “heap of confusion.” Size is no matter.


So what’s clutter? By my definition, “clutter” is anything you don’t need, use or love. For example, unless you know how to darn socks, throw out every sock with a hole in it. Yes, you could save it for dusting but when did you last use a sock to dust? Need another example? I recently tossed about 15 more-than-a-year-old magazines that had articles I wanted to read but hadn't made the time to read. (Hey, nobody's perfect, right?)


Using my magazine example, I wanted to read those articles but didn't (I didn't use them). Any information I might have needed from the articles is surely available on the internet (I didn't need the magazines). Other than wanting to read the articles, I had no personal connection to the magazines (I didn't love them). So, by my own organize clutter definition, the magazines were clutter and I tossed them.


So, where do you start? Getting yourself in the right frame of mind is important. I start by deciding to be decisive. It may sound nutty but it makes all the difference. The line between what's clutter and what's useful can get blurry as you go along and especially so, if you get tired. So, do take small bites.


Start Somewhere - Not Everywhere.

Q: How do you eat an elephant? A: One bite at a time. I hold tight to my tag line, which is, "Eating the clutter elephant, one bite at a time." The theory is simple. You cannot do it all at once. It's not humanly possible. So, select one drawer, one counter, one shelf - and remove everything from it. Once empty, clean the selected area and then address the contents you removed.


Picking up one item at a time, decide if you need, use or love it. If the answer is "no," you are holding either trash or a donation. Toss that item into a nearby "trash" or "donation" area and move on to the next item. If you decide you need, use or love it, your next question is, "does this item belong here?" If the answer is "no," place that item in a nearby "elsewhere" pile. If the answer is "yes," place that item back into your cleaned storage area.


When you've finished, dispose of your "trash" pile, bag up your "donations" and place them on the front seat of your car (to be delivered on your next trip out), and then distribute your "elsewhere" items to the places they belong.


Extra Tips on Making Decisions:

  • Handle each item only once: As you go through the things you've removed from your designated "de-clutter" area, handle each item only once.
  • Don't second guess yourself: Be careful not to second guess yourself, especially as you dispose of trash and bag your donations. You'll only get confused, make yourself nuts and possibly rob yourself of new free space and a great feeling of personal power. That's a lot to loose! So remember, your first impression is usually correct.
  • Your Elsewhere Items: Putting away your “elsewhere” items is revealing. These things often end up in the wrong spot (the one you just de-cluttered) because they have no designated home. So take note as you go. These “elsewhere” items reveal the next areas you need to organize and also indicate new storage areas you need to create.
  • Remember to keep it small: “One bite at a time.”

If you’re feeling inspired, you can move on to another drawer. If not, pat yourself on the back and go have a cookie! Taking action to be organized really does change the way you feel about your home, yourself, and your personal power. Our crazy world often makes us feel "out of control" but personal clutter is one thing over which we have complete dominion. Yay! :)


For more tips, tricks, plans and step-by-step instructions, visit: www.organizeclutter.net


No comments:

Post a Comment